Monday, April 07, 2008

Rambling at 16:12 on a Monday afternoon

I don't really know what to blog about, but it's been a while since I said my thoughts to blogville, so I'll ramble.

What have I been up to? Hmmm....last week was Spring Break, so I tried to stay away from everything De Anza. That, of course, doesn't mean I didn't do any work. I did most of the planning for my algebra class last week (insane to plan 9 weeks of a quarter in a matter of 4-5 days. Insane). Teaching 3 classes this quarter is going to feel like a relief, after teaching 4 last quarter. Thing is, I'm teaching Finite for the first time, and there are parts of the course I'm a little nervous about. I became less nervous after talking briefly to Prof. Webb, my awesome Decision Analysis professor at SJSU. I'm hoping to pull in a bunch of the stuff I've learned in that class into the Finite class.

I spent part of the week putting together my final project for the Decision Analysis class and reading a lot about employment law.

If you care, my project is coming up with a way to predict student success in the classes I'm teaching. It doesn't work well, but I'll probably be tweaking it for the next couple of years. I wanted to get that done with so I can start working on the final paper for my law class. We have to come up with an employment law situation, and use three law cases to analyze and decide the best course of action. Sounds easy, right? No. Coming up with a situation will not be hard (I already have one), but finding three cases that are similar enough to use in the analysis is going to be a pain. Also the paper has a 6-page max (double spaced). I know a lot of people don't like writing long paper, but squeezing analysis of a case, using three other cases as back-up is going to be tough to do in 6 pages.

"What did you do for fun, Jefferson?" you might be asking (if you got this far, without being lulled into a doze). The true answer is, not much. I watched some basketball (3 of my 4 final 4 teams made it, which is not bad), watched Gone Baby Gone, which was a very good movie. If it ended after 50 minutes, it would have been spectacular. While the second hour wraps things up nicer, I would have liked it to end at 50 minutes. Watching it, I realize that I missed the East Coast. The East Coast has an attitude that just does not exist out here. Maybe Lauren will get a job in the BosWash corridor, and we'll move there at some point.

We also went to Chinatown, which is always fun. If you haven't gone to Lucky Creation Vegetarian Restaurant, it's a must-eat in Chinatown.

That's my life right now. I'm waiting for yoga to start in an hour, then going home to watch Memphis beat up on Kansas. Yes, that is my prediction: Memphis will win the men's championship.

Stanford will win the women's, not because I'm married to a Stanfordite, but because the star
player of Tennessee is nursing an injured shoulder, so she will be limited.

What a blog, aye? Talkin' about law, a mini movie review, and women's basketball analysis.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the East Coast attitude that is missing in the Bay Area?

April 08, 2008 5:51 AM  
Blogger Thomas Awful said...

0-2 in the prediction game, brah! memphis should have won. infuriating last second 3's...

April 10, 2008 8:00 PM  
Blogger Jefferson said...

I know, I wasn't very good with my predictions. That's why I never put money on anything.

As far the East Coasters thing. East Coasters have more of an edge to them, that I don't see on people as much around here. The whole "you thing you're better than me?" attitude, the honk-at-bad-driving attitude (why don't people honk in the Bay Area?), the passion they have for their sports teams that is miles ahead of anything I've seen while living here (on D.C. radio in November, I heard several callers demand that the entire Washington Redskins organization be dismantled after losing a game- they made the playoffs). There is just something about that East Coast attitude I miss every once in a while.

April 10, 2008 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page