Thursday, February 14, 2008

1,000,000,000 seconds

So I celebrated my one billionth second today at 3:37:01 (my dad did the calculation).

As odd as this sounds, that milestone had made me feel old over the past couple of days. I've just felt this kind of melancholy feeling since my dad told me.

In addition, I've been taking a pilates class and I've been feeling old in there also. But not because I can't do the stuff the class requires (I'm amazed that I can do as much as I can - I have pretty good abs, I guess); what makes me feel old is the age of the other students in the class. I think I may be the oldest person in the class. I take the class at De Anza, so it would make sense that there are a number of young people in the class, but I thought that taking a class in the evenings would mean there would be older people in the class with me.

Yesterday, during pilates, I noticed that there was a guy who was wearing a class of 2006 high school t-shirt. I thought to myself, "that guy looks too old to be just out of high school". Thing is, he's not just out of high school; he's been out of high school for 2 years. I would have been insulted if someone said I was just out of high school two years afters I graduated. Looking at his shirt, I realized that when I was a senior in high school, he was in kindergarten. That made me feel old.

One billion and some seconds down, many more to go....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

correction: it was BILLIONTH, not millionth (giga- not mega-). A million seconds is only about 11.5 days.

February 15, 2008 5:16 AM  
Blogger Jefferson said...

Thanks for the correction. I was quite tired when I posted the blog and wasn't thinking like a normal person...

February 15, 2008 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome to the club ;)

February 15, 2008 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page