Sunday, December 23, 2007

No Movie for Old Men

I saw No Country for Old Men yesterday. I liked it a lot. I used to see a lot more movies over winter break than I do in recent years. There's something about sitting in a good movie that I really like.

I liked this movie a lot, but I could see how people wouldn't like it. The ending doesn't wrap things up the way a lot of movies do and I really like that. There were some moans when the movie ended, because some audience members wanted things to be wrapped up nicely. I heard a couple people on the way out of the theater say that this was the weirdest movie they've ever seen - they should see What the #$*! Do We (K)now!?

During the movie, there was an older man sitting behind me. Early on (about 20-30 minutes into the film) he said - quite loudly- to his wife, 'what the hell is this?', his way of complaining about a violent scene.

For the rest of the movie, every 15-20 minutes he would turn to his wife, and say things like 'do you want to sit through this?' or 'do you want to leave'; she didn't want to.

About 15 minutes before the movie ended, he told her he was leaving, and would wait for her outside the theater. She was cool with that.

I guess No Country for Old Men is no movie for old men.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being an "older man" myself, I sympathize with the man in the theater. Ellen and I saw this movie on Saturday, and we were both unimpressed, although -- unlike the other older man -- we didn't say anything until we got out of the theater. I was the first to break the ice, saying that the good news is that the movie has a sorta prominent role for our friend Beth Grant, who played the mother of Llewelyn's wife (and was made to look much older than she actually is). What's the bad news, Ellen then asked. Everything, I replied. I especially thought that the movie's attempts to move beyond being a standard psycho thriller were pretty awful. The problem with that last scene, for example, wasn't that it failed to wrap up the plot in a conventional manner but that it just seemed pretentiously baffling. At least we paid only $3 a ticket, at a matinee at a discount theater -- where, by the way, we saw a movie just before Christmas that we liked quite a bit: Lars and the Real Girl.
Anyway, we both got a big laugh out of your Las Vegas street photos.

December 30, 2007 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page