Friday, January 11, 2008

One Week Down

I've been able to survive the first week of the quarter.

This quarter just seems crazier than usual. There is the usual large number of students asking me to add them to my classes, but there is so much more this quarter.

I'm teaching an extra class this quarter (3 trig classes and an algebra class, in total) and taking a PE class; I've had 4 students ask for recommendation letters (if you are a student who is not one of these 4, please don't ask me to write you a rec. letter until, at least, February); I've been trying to work on writing up a report for a tenure candidate (I'm the chair of his tenure committee); there have also been a larger than usual number of student requests this quarter, which I cannot discuss, because of FERPA.

I've also been anticipating reading a plethora of job applications, which will probably start in the next couple of weeks. This anticipation makes me want to get work done now that I will not be able to do in the next couple of weeks, so I've been reading a Supply Chain Management text book (the class starts next week), and planning a Finite Math class, which I will be teaching next quarter. Meanwhile, things like watching season 4 of The Wire on DVD and reading about How Soccer Explains the World, have had to take a back seat. In addition, I feel like like the only time I've spent with Lauren is the 8-9 hours when we are sleeping, because she has been pretty busy filling out fellowship applications this whole week.

Here's to getting through one week, and hoping to survive 11 more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Awful said...

i watched season 4 of the wire in about a day. it was awesome, but i do feel kind of pathetic and sad for not wanting to socialize with people just so i could depress myself...

January 18, 2008 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page