Thursday, November 13, 2008

Twins

I went to Emily's job morning. She works as the director of a childcare facility, on the grounds of a hospital. I walked from room to room, looking at all the different kids, broken into age-group rooms; I was asked if I was "the illustrator" by a kid (Jamaar, Emily's husband was scheduled to come in and teach the kids art today); I was kissed on the cheek by a newly adopted Russian boy, who seems to want to kiss every adult he comes into contact with.

I can't tell you how many of Emily's co-workers said "wow, you look like twins", or something to that effect, in the 20 minutes I was there. I admit, Emily and I are from a very different gene pool than the bulk of the world population - having a white father and a Ghanaian mother is not the most common group of people you see around, but I don't think we look like twins. I'm 5 years older than her, but we've been told we look like twins since I was at least 16. How can a 16 year old and 11 year old look like twins?

My usual response to the twins comment, which I also said this morning, is "I guess I look young for my age".

We definitely look like siblings, and maybe when you only know one sibling, then see the other, the resemblance is so mind-blowing that you feel the need to say "wow, you look like twins", but come on, twins? really? What do you think?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister is 5 and a half years older than I am, and the only feature we share is our unique hair color. When I was in 7th grade and visited my sister at college, we went out to dinner and the waitress asked us if we were twins. Hello, I was only 12! Crazy...

November 13, 2008 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page