Saturday, October 25, 2008

you look like someone who wants help

When I was in college, on an almost daily basis, strangers would come up and talk to me. I always thought it was odd, and told a friend of mine about it. Her response was: "you look like someone who wants help."

I was on facebook today and saw that someone had posted a picture that I was in, from 1996. It was weird to see it, because it brought back these memories of that time in my life - not the specific goings on when that picture was taken (I actually have no memory of that picture being taken or exactly where we were), but of what the picture represented.

I was transferring the stuff from my old computer to my new one today, and was listening to songs to put on my ipod and heard Do What You Have to Do by Sarah McLachlan and Summertime by The Sundays, and I was taken back to the same time of that picture.

I realize how different a person I was in the late 1990s than I am now. I was this insecure young man, who was deeply affected by things like a song and the people I met and knew. Looking at myself in the picture, I feel like I look like I want help. I am left to wonder what that Jefferson was thinking, and what he would think of who he is now.

The friend who thought I wanted help went on to say I had a look that was begging to be talked to, because I looked timid and out of place. At the time, I just thought she was messing with me, because she did that a lot, but looking at that picture now, I know what she means.

I've always been shy, and will probably always be. But I'd like to think that I'm a much more confident person than the young man in the picture. Of course, 12 years later, I should be more confident, but I think there's even more to it than that. I can't say exactly what it is, but I don't look like someone who wants help anymore, even when I do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not shy you are sensitive.
Do not change yourself - you are awesome.

November 03, 2008 9:37 PM  
Blogger Jefferson said...

I don't think the writer of the comment above knows me very well. People who know me would definitely describe me as shy.

November 04, 2008 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page