Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Speaking of politics....

I usually don't do politics on this blog, mainly because I have never wanted this to be a place where I try to sway opinion.

That being said, there has been something about the election cycle that has bothered me. I've seen some people become supporters of candidates because of who they are and not necessarily what they stand for.

I was talking to my sister over the weekend, and we were discussing how some people will vote for McCain-Palin, simply because Palin is a woman (or vote against because of Palin's gender). We also agreed that the same was true for the Obama-Biden ticket, with some people voting for the ticket because Obama is black (or vote against because of Obama's race).

I find this the dumbest possible reason to vote for anyone. I have far more respect for someone who supports a candidate I don't, for valid reasons, than a person who supports a candidate I do, for the reasons listed above.

I was watching an interview with some of Palin's friends from Alaska last night. One said she didn't agree with Palin's politics, but would vote for her because she was her friend. I guess, because she's Palin's friend, I can see it, but I know that there are a lot of people out there who will be voting for (or against) one ticket or the other, because of who is on the ticket, and not what that person stands for. If you're one of those people, stop reading my blog, because I have no respect for you.

That being said, please vote this year, but inform yourself before you do, and make sure you vote for a candidate for the right reasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page