Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Last Break Before the Never-Ending Quarter

So I've decided to post a blog every weekend. I don't know how long this will last, but maybe me publishing this will guilt me into actually sticking to it.

Tomorrow is the start of what I like to call the never-ending quarter. Spring quarter starts on April 6 and runs until June 26. Summer quarter starts on June 29 (the Monday after Spring ends) and runs until early August. In all, there is an 18-week stretch of classes, with only Memorial day as a holiday. In Spring I teach Statistics, in Summer, I'm scheduled to teach Trigonometry.

I've been told the reason for not having a break between Spring and Summer is to accommodate the semester school students who want to take summer classes at De Anza and go back to their schools, which usually start in mid-August. While I understand this argument, I don't agree with it. It seems like the school ends up putting other students' needs ahead of those of the year-round De Anza students, who end up taking classes for 18 straight weeks, with no break. I won't go on about this, but I've said my piece.

This past week was spring break. I wish I could say I did a lot of this:


...but I didn't. I saw a lot of that; on our bed, our futon, our dining room table, our coffee table, my office chair, Lauren's office chair, my lap, my torso, my torso while I was trying to do work that was on my lap. In all, it was a restful week for Geordi.

I worked, didn't get much sleep (got 6 hours last night for no reason other than I couldn't get to sleep and woke up at 6:30 for no reason), saw a 3 movies, and watched the MSU mens basketball team make it to the championship game, where they face UNC, the beast of mens college basketball.

That was basically my break. I think I'm ready for the new quarter, but I never like the first day. It's always filled with dealing with more administrative stuff than I care for, and dealing with students who don't understand that a class that is supposed to have no more than 35 students can't possibly have 50 students in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page