Tuesday, November 25, 2008

November 27, 2003

People don't often remember the day before a major event in their lives. How many people remember what they did the day before Kennedy was shot, or on September 10, 2001? At the time, it was just another day. For some reason, I do remember what I did on November 27, 2003.

It was Thanksgiving, a holiday I don't care much for, partly because I'm a vegetarian and partly because food doesn't play as big a role in my life as so many Americans. I lived on Claremont Avenue at the time, in Oakland, a few blocks south of Berkeley.

I had found a pick-up soccer game in Walnut Creek (about 15 miles from where I lived) and I headed there for the first (and last) time late that morning. I played for an hour or two, had a good time, and then came back home.

I was having Thanksgiving dinner at the house of a relative of my aunt's, in San Jose. I had agreed to make a vegetable medley, which included cactus that I got from the Berkeley Bowl. It was the first time I had ever made anything with cactus. I also made some of my (semi-famous) pumpkin bread to take to the house.

I had been given strict instructions; the woman (for some reason I can't remember he name) whose house I was going to, had a scent disorder. She was hyper-sensitive to any kind of non-natural smell. I was told to not use any non-natural deodorant, soap, shampoo, or be around any kind of smoke, leading up to going to her house.

I decided to shower shortly before the 1-hour drive to San Jose. I didn't have any natural deodorant, so I just hoped I didn't sweat much on the drive down, but, of course, thinking about not sweating, made me sweat.

I got to her house, greeted my aunt, uncle, cousin, and the hostess, met her dogs which she had taught to do tricks, and settled in. Other guests came, primarily friends from the hostess' scent disorder support group.

I left the dinner late that evening and drove home.

I was supposed to call someone I had never met the next day, and I went to bed not knowing if I should bother, because I wasn't sure it would be worth my time. The semester was finishing up at UC Berkeley, and I had a lot of work to do over the long weekend.

In the end, it's a good thing I called that person the next morning, otherwise, I would have never met Lauren; on November 28, 2003.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jefferson, that was SO sweet. Seriously? I welled up a bit. I'm glad you made the call too, you guys are an adorable couple and I'm so glad I've gotten to meet you.

December 05, 2008 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page