Thursday, January 29, 2009

Radiolab

I haven't known what to blog about, so I figured I would blog about my latest obsession.

A student saw me on campus today; my sunglasses on, my headphones in. I guess I walked right by, ignoring their attempts to say hi, because I couldn't hear them. In class, I was asked what I was listening to so attentively that the world passes me by without my knowledge. My response: podcasts.

For the past year or two, when I've happened to be in my car on Saturdays between 1 and 2 pm, I would hear bits of this odd show, Radiolab. The editing is crazy, and I assumed it was given that name, because of the editing - like experimenting with radio.

On our trip to Arizona, we decided to listen to a bunch of podcasts - Fresh Air, Car Talk, This American Life, Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me, and Radiolab. I have to admit, the trip got me hooked on Radiolab.

I've heard stories of a woman who is two people in one (she has two different sets on DNA, organ by organ), a guy who always hears music in his head, a guy who had a fly come to life by living off the flesh in his skull, that children may not grow while under extreme stress, and the gross mis-diagnosis of SIDS in the early 1900s.

Radiolab is, in the hosts' words, a science show that takes you back to 3rd grade, when science was more fun than it would ever be again (for most people).

So I ride the bus, go to the gym, walk through campus, walk to the grocery store, listening to my new obsession; until the next one comes along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page