Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ants

2004
I haven't blogged in a few weeks. I thought about blogging about our trip to the East Coast, but everyone goes on vacation, so if you really care, you can look at Lauren's pictures.

I was going to check the mail the other day, walking by the apartment pool when I noticed a long line of ants. This was the same colony of ants that were in our apartment a couple days before, getting into Geordi's food, a line of them running to (and out of) our window. This blog is not about ants; it's about living and leaving, something I didn't let the ants in Geordi's food do - I killed them before they could get away.

As I saw those ants, for some reason, it hit me - we're moving out of this apartment in about 4 months. We got our visas the same day I saw those ants, kind of cementing that the move was going to happen. At the end of the year, we will be moving our stuff out and heading to Oxford (Lauren will actually be heading out in less than 4 weeks).

I've lived in this apartment longer than I have lived in any other place since I moved to the US at the age of 12. We've been here over 5 years now, 5 1/2 by the end of the year rolls around. I'm going to miss this place; the pool I never use, the stomping toddler that lives above us, the guy who kicks us offline when he thinks we're using too much bandwidth. You'd think I hate this place based on the last sentence, but I actually miss those things; the toddler has taught me to be more patient with kids, the internet guy has taught me to be more frugal with my internet use, the pool...the pool has taught me nothing, except reinforcing my idea that black people don't swim.

A couple of months ago, Lauren mentioned that she was hesitant to visit Baltimore, saying she had only so much time before moving out of the apartment. At the time, I didn't see what the big deal was, but that day, as I saw the ants, probably headed to some other apartment, getting into some other cat's food, I felt what she felt. I'm hesitant to go anywhere for the next few months, to savor this place I've lived for the past 5 years, with the toddler, the internet guy, and the ants.

2009

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh, you are actually leaving? What am I going to do if I need to take a math class? I'm joking, well sort of. It would be nice to see you and Lauren before you leave, but knowing how busy our schedules are, that probably won't happen. You have closer and more important friends to spend time with. So here's a hearty "bon voyage" to you both. I hope you settle nicely into your new home across the sea.

September 06, 2009 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page