Monday, May 25, 2009

Oxford

So I'm thinking of moving to the UK.

At some point in my relationship with Lauren, I realized that I would have to move at some point; her job would move us. She was in her first year in her Ph.D. program when I met her, and 5 1/2 years later that point has arrived.

When Lauren started the job search, I said I would be not have a problem moving for a tenure-track position, one that offered more long-term stability, but a post-doc, which would last 1-3 years, with another move after that, would be problematic.

Over the past year, she applied for a number of tenure-track positions, and just missed out on a couple of them. I had accepted that the move would not be happening this year, and I would be at De Anza for at least one more year - then post-doc positions started coming up in several places around the country, and one in Oxford. The way Lauren talked about it, I didn't think she would get the Oxford position, so I wouldn't have to worry about uprooting; then the invitation to interview came, she was off to Oxford, then the offer came, and here we are.

Oxford is far away - 8 time zones away, an 11 hour flight, plus a 90-minute bus ride. That's far away. Looked at that way, the whole not-going-to-move-for-a-post-doc decision is tougher to make.

I've not made a final decision yet. I've agreed to teach an MPS class in the Fall, and it's hard to find people willing to teach those classes, so I'll at least be at De Anza through the Fall quarter, but I'm still somewhat undecided about what happens beyond that.

The decision is complicated by other factors, including finances and jobs.

Apparently I can go on leave from De Anza for two years, and come back. If this option was not on the table, I would feel like moving to Oxford would be a bad decision, for the sake of job security. But, by taking a 2-year leave I would be giving up two years of guaranteed income, for possibly sitting in an Oxford flat with nothing to do.

Most people I've talked to have said that I should go, but I don't think most people realize how good my work situation is. The thought of not having such a great job scares me.

I have this idea that this would be an opportunity to use the MBA I paid a ton of money to get, but with the economy the way it is, I worry that I would move to Oxford and not get a job. As someone who has been at the same job for 8 years, and has only worked in one profession, the thought of looking for work I have no experience doing makes me feel somewhat like a kid going to school for the first time (I hated my first day of school, and many days after).

So, I sit here, thinking, doing research, and wondering if I'll be in Oxford next year.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! Not an easy decision at all. people don't always realize that the two body problem applies to non-academics as well!!!! i don't really have advice to offer from my own experience, just sympathy.
-Natalie

May 25, 2009 11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmmmm, it is a tough decision. However, having the option to come back to your job after two years should ease your anxiety to some extent. Now as far as Oxford is concerned, that place is renowned to welcome scholars with open arms. Also, you might get some time to rediscover yourself and plan out your future endeavors as far as your career is concerned. Who knows, maybe there you will find something more fulfilling to do over there. Since you already have an option, there isn't any harm in entertaining the thought of mingling with the English for sometime! :-)

~Nav

May 25, 2009 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it's a good chance to explore life, for someone you love, as well as for yourself! Besides, you still can get the job here if you come back two years later. Why not to take the risk (not too risky though)when you are still young?! If I were you, I would give it a try, as no one knows what'll happen, until we really do it. Good luck!!

June 05, 2009 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page