Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Job Search Begins

I sent off my first Oxford job application the other day. I hadn't planned on reaching the point of sending off applications so soon, but came across a job I think I could be a good fit for so I figured, why not apply?

It's been a long time since I've looked for a job. The last time I applied for jobs was during the 2000-2001 school year, when I made the decision to leave Michigan. It was a very different job search than this one is.

The biggest difference, which really hit me a couple of weeks ago, is the scope of where I can work. When I was looking for jobs back then, I didn't particularly care when I ended up; I just knew that I wanted to leave East Lansing, so I applied for job everywhere. Besides De Anza, I interviewed at a school in Chicago, was invited to interview for jobs in Austin, New Jersey, Bermuda, and with a Navy base in Korea. I also had a vague offer from a school in Massachusetts.

This time around, I'm somewhat limited. I'm pretty much restricted to looking for jobs in Oxford, a city with a population of about 150,000 people; that's small. Sure there are two universities in the town and who knows what else, but that somewhat limits how many jobs would be available for a person with experience teaching math and who has math and business degrees. Without a car while we're there, any job I look for pretty much has to be in Oxford.

Another issue is this idea I have of getting a job where I use my MBA. Many people who have MBA's have some experience that's related to business; I, of course, do not. This is a case of being over-educated to work in a low-level business position and not experienced enough to get a job that a typical MBA would get.

I've talked up so much my want to get a job where I use the MBA that I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that the job I applied for has nothing to do with with business; it is a teaching position.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oxford should be a great place to go, specially for teaching. What kind of job does your wife get over there? Good luck.

September 22, 2009 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page