Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Oscars


I used to be a much bigger movie buff than I am these days. That said, I still try to see every movie that is nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, before the Oscars (which are tomorrow). Last year, I said Crash was my favorite of the bunch, and it (somewhat surprisingly) won.

Here is how I rank the nominees this year.

The Departed was my favorite of the bunch. I remember walking out, and not being blown away by it, but none of the movies in this year's crop blew me away.

Babel and Letters from Iwo Jima were about at the same level for me, so I'm saying they are tied for second. They were both very good movies, but 21 Grams and Amores Perros are both better movies from Alejandro González Iñárritu, the director of Babel. Similarly, Saving Private Ryan was (in my opinion) a superior war movie, when compared to Letters from Iwo Jima. Side note: Saving Private Ryan was robbed of an Oscar by Shakespeare in Love, in 1997.

Little Miss Sunshine comes in 4th for me. I just didn't see what the big deal was, and the best character is only in the first 1/2 of the movie. It was just alright for me.

The Queen was my least favorite of the nominees. I thought it dragged a little, and if it was any longer than its 1 hr. 37 min., it would have been too long for me. The acting was very good, but I still felt like it dragged.

Sadly, I saw a couple of movies that I liked more than all 5 nominees, but that's another post for another day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Awful said...

It has often been suggested in reference works that prove here is really being used in the sense of "test" (as it does in terms like "proving ground")....It is said that the real idea behind the saying is that the presence of what looks like an exception tests whether a rule is really valid or not.

....[But] it's not a false sense of proof that causes the problem, but exception....The true origin of the phrase lies in a medieval Latin legal principle: exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis, which may be translated as "the exception confirms the rule in the cases not excepted"....A sign on a museum door which says "Entry free today" leads to the implication that entry is not free on other days.

odd.

ale-x

February 27, 2007 2:23 AM  
Blogger Sailor Star Dust said...

I saw Crash for my EWRT (1B, I think it was?) class last Summer, thought it was brillant. It makes such a good point how you can't put people into stereotypical categories and instead pay attention to what the person themselves is like.(I also think A Clockwork Orange is brillant with it's point about free will (Alex is just plain creepy though), but of course that's an "older" film.) I haven't watched many movies lately, though I did see Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (it helps that I've watched The Da Ali G Show on HBO ^_^), which is VERY funny and I highly reccommend it. What makes it even funnier is the actor, Sacha Baron Cohen, interviews/talks with people that don't know they're making asses of themselves by revealing their ignorant (racist, homophobic, etc) views of the world.

Take care, Caroline K.

March 13, 2007 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page