Sunday, March 05, 2006

Random events in the near past and future

So, I'm in Red Rock again. I think I posted from here in one of my more recent posts.

What has gone on in the past week and a half since I last posted? Hmmm.... We had issues with our dish and with internet access at home. I think the internet thing has finally been fixed, but I'm not completely sure. I talked to Tim (our apartment manager) about it on Monday, and he said it might be 3-4 weeks til our internet service got back to normal. I guess you can't complain too much, when you get free broadband service with your rent, but it still kind of sucks.

I worked at the flea market yesterday, without Lauren. It was me and Lindsay, who made fun of a few customers, after they left. We were in a crappy location, but business was still pretty good.

Lauren and I saw Walk the Line last night. It was not as good as I thought it would be, but I was doing work while watching it, so I might not have fully appreciated the film.

Lauren found out she will be going to S. Africa in September. I'm wondering if I can get to go for a little while (to leave the country for the 7th year in a row). If I do this MBA thing, starting in the Fall, I don't know if I'll be able to go to S. Africa, because classes start in late August, I think.

So the board votes on my tenure at De Anza tomorrow. Pretty sweet!!! There is a reception I may forget to go to (even though I RSVP'd already). I'm just not into socializing with De Anza folk. I wish I enjoyed socializing with them, but I don't. Oh well.

I was asked by President Brian Murphy to do some kind of thing on Wednesday, but I have a class conflict, and I didn't really want to do it anyway. I don't get why I'm constantly being asked to do things by people in high posistions in the district and on campus. He apparently asked the Dean of our division, then me. I don't know how I am second in line to the Dean.

I feel (and I hope I'm wrong here) that I get asked to do stuff a lot, because of what I look like. I feel like people think "let's put the young minority face out there." If I was some conservatively dressed white guy with a preppy hair cut, I wonder if I would ever be asked to do things like be on committees I know nothing about, with people who are so much higher up the De Anza ladder that I feel like I don't belong in the room. I hope that this is not the case.

I should get back to work now. Back to planning class on Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences. It's always odd for me to teach things I didn't learn very well in my math classes. I like sequences, but every time I teach them, I feel like I'm not an exptert, even though I've taught sequences quite a few times now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page