Wednesday, August 30, 2006

'Thanks, buddy'

So I didn't hear from anyone about the probability problem. I don't know if that means you are all lazy, or you simply don't care. For those who do care, the answer is 1, which is 100%. In the previous 14 games, if I have scored, our team has won. Maybe this is why Rebecca, our team coach/manager, often gives me orders to score a goal. She's been asking for a mention on here, so there you go. Everyone wants to be associated with the de anza math teacher.

I've spent the mornings (and half the afternoon today) on the De Anza campus. School is not in session, and the campus is deserted, but I go to the gym and then work for a few hours. It's hard to motivate myself to work during my vacation, but without Lauren here, I find that work is a productive way to get through the day.

My title today has to do with an incident that happened on campus today. I was taking a break from work in my office, and took a walk around campus. I came across three new international students, who looked very lost. They asked for directions to a building, so I gave them a vague idea, after which one of them said "thanks, buddy", which didn't sound quite right coming from his mouth. I then gave more specific directions, and then again "thanks, buddy". It still didn't seem right coming from him. And finally I told them they needed to know that the building they were looking for would involving crossing the street that goes around the campus. Again, "thanks, buddy", and another one as I walked away.

Four "thanks, buddy"s. I think all the guy said to me was "thanks, buddy" (his friend was the one who asked for directions).

I don't remember the last time someone called me "buddy". It's amazing what parts of American culture is picked up in other parts of the world. In an odd way, it reminded me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where Vincent and Jules are talking about eating at burger places in France.

Speaking of buddies, Happy Birthday Doug!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page