Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Most Annoying Moment of the Summer Session

The Summer Session is now over. I'm going to turn in my grades tomorrow. I now get about a week off, before starting an MBA program at San Jose State University.

I'm still not completely sure if the MBA is a good idea. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

I wanted to talk about my least favorite moment of the Summer. It had nothing to do with my class, which warmed up to me over the course of six weeks. It had to do with another faculty member.

I often get mistaken for a student by other students, by faculty who think I'm parking illegally in staff parking (which I don't get, because I have a staff parking sticker on my car), and by people who just see me on campus.

This summer, someone from within my Division (Physical Sciences Math and Engineering) thought I was a student. What bothered me about it was, this is a person I see ALL THE TIME, in the Division office. I have rarely talked to this person, but at least I would recognize them, if I saw them.

I was turning in some paper work to the Division office, only to find it was locked. I saw a face I recognized through the glass door, and knocked. I was told by this person, who I see ALL THE TIME, that the office was closed and I would have to come back later. I was so insulted. I told them I was turning in paper work (that only faculty could turn in), they told me to come back later. I said "I"m faculty", then they turned it around and said, "Oh, you were trying to pull my leg, pretending to be a student." I don't see how me saying I wanted to turn in paper work, that only faculty could turn in, was pretending to be a student.

Frankly, that pissed me off. How self-centered can you be to not recognize a co-worker, who is fairly recognizable (not many people walk around campus with dreadlocks), and who has sees you ALL THE TIME in the Division office.

I think this illustrates a problem I've had with De Anza for a while. There seems to be this air that is put out there about what a great sense of community De Anza has; in my experience, the sense of community has been no better than anywhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page