Monday, July 03, 2006

Questions from 1B class

On the first day of class, I have students ask me whatever questions they chose, on a piece of paper I pass around the room. Here are the questions (and my answers) from my 1B class.


Why do you have your own flag?
I’m half Ghanaian, and proud of my heritage.

Why did you give a quiz on the first day?
To get students thinking about math again.

Which College did you go to?
Michigan State University and UC Berkeley (for one semester).

What motivated you to teach math?
Grad school (it’s a long story).

Why are you so hot?
I am what I am.

Where were you born?
Zaria, Nigeria.

When are you getting married?
December 2006.

Do you like any soccer clubs?
I like the one I play on, FC Redstorm.

How old are you?
I’m 30.

Are you 100% black?
No. I’m 50% black.

Why don’t you add people who are trying to add on the first day?
Because there are other sections that have more space, and run the risk of being cancelled, if I take people. Also, a class at this pace should have no more than 25 people in it.

Who is your favorite soccer player?
Myself.

What’s your favorite color?
Forest green.

How long have you taught math?
8 years.

Do you give extra credit?
Not a lot.

Do you like Chinese girls?
My fiancée is part Chinese, so that answers the question for you.

What is your Zodiac sign?
Gemini.

What do you dislike about teaching?
Having students who don’t care about anything in the class, not even their grade.

Why did you stop getting a PhD from Berkeley?
It’s a long story. It was not what I wanted to do with my life.

Do you ever get excited students?
I get at least one excited student in every class.

What part of math 1B do you like the most?
I really like the applications of integrals.

What do you see yourself doing 5 years from now?
Probably teaching, but I don’t know.

How many extra points do you think you will give?
Not too many.

What music do you listen to?
Yesterday, I was listening to Kate Bush. Today, who knows…

Are the tests open book and open notes?
No.

Why do you give a quiz everyday?
To make sure students are keeping up with the work.

What type of car do you drive?
A Volkswagen Golf.

Do you know Hermes Conrad from the cartoon Futurama?
I never watch Futurama.

Why do you rarely teach Math 1A and 1B classes?
I usually teach them 1-2 times a year, which is not a rarity.

How old are your 2 sisters?
One is 41 and the other is 25.

Are you Jamaican?
No. See the first question I answered.

How do you manage your hair?
I twist it everyday.

How heavy are you?
I haven’t weighed myself in about 6 months, so I actually have no idea.

How did you end up here?
De Anza?? I ended up here when I decided it was time for me to leave Michigan.

Favorite Food?
Red-Red. Fried plantain in bean stew. It’s from Ghana.

Do you have Friendster?
Technically, but I never go on there.

Can I call you?
Here is my office number: 408 864-8392, although I’m not in my office very much in the summer.

How often do you cut your hair?
I haven’t cut my hair in about 3 years. It was shaved before that.

How tall are you?
5’8”

Do you like dogs?
They are alright. I have a cat though, his name is Geordi, and here is his picture.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I am so surprised how many really personal questions they ask you. I don't think I could have ever asked my teachers some of those questions!

July 03, 2006 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page