Thursday, June 29, 2006

To the 2005-06 MPS class

I wanted to give a longer speech to you all on the last day of class, but we didn't have the time I would have liked.

I first heard about MPS my first year at De Anza (2001-02). I had taught algebra a lot, and had an interest in reaching all students, when I was in grad school, so the MPS program intrigued me.

Herminio asked if I wanted to teach it the following year. I said no. I was too new to De Anza, I said. In reality, I was scared to teach the class. It had stories attached to it. The students are difficult, you'll be pulling your hair out, it's a lot of work. People said these things to me, and when you hear that, you don't really want dive into it, your second year at the college.

My third year, I was actually not on campus. I was at UC Berkeley for 2003-04. On my reuturn, I was asked if I wanted to teach it in 2005-06. The dean asked me. You don't really say no to the dean. I remember someone asking why in the world I would volunteer to teach MPS, and I said the dean asked me to. The response was, "then I guess you'll have to do it".

Last summer, in Ghana, I emailed Diane numerous times, asking about all kinds of things. I was scared.

The year started, and on the first day, I remember thinking, here we go. It's do or die time.

Looking back on that, I don't know what I was so scared of. The 9:30 MPS class for 2005-06, is the best class I've ever taught. You guys worked harder than almost any students I've had before, and I don't know what people were talking about, when they said the students would be tough to deal with. I felt the opposite. You were such a joy to deal with. I honestly enjoyed coming into class, most of the time.

One year with a group of students is tough, don't get me wrong. There were some days when some of you really got under my skin, like family can get under your skin.

I think that's the best way I can describe my experience with this class. You were like family. You got to me sometimes, but when push comes to shove, we had each other's backs.

Good luck with your endeavors, what ever they may be. And remember, I do have your back, so don't hesitate to get in touch, if you ever need anything, or even if you don't.

I only hope my class next year can be half as enjoyable as this class was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page