Friday, March 10, 2006

Work, work, work

I don't think a lot of students have any idea how much time I put into teaching.

A few weeks ago, a student wanted me to put together a review sheet to help them (not the whole class, mind you) with the material we had covered to that point. That's crazy!!! I don't have the time to put together a review sheet for one person.

There is this notion I get from some students that I am there for each of them, not for the class as a whole. It's hard to tell students that I have 80 students, so I don't remember every request made by every student, without being reminded.

Students see me for the couple of hours in class, and I wonder if some of them think that that is the end of my job. If only! I would say I put in at least 2-3 hours of work a day, away from De Anza. I should metion that this week (except for today), I was at De Anza from at least 9am to 6pm. You tack on 2-3 hours onto that, and you get my work day.

I'm venting, because I have to put together a review sheet, an assignment, a quiz, activity sheets, and an exam, this weekend. I have no idea how I'm going to do this by monday, and still have a weekend.

I almost dread weekends at this point in the quarter, because a weekend is by no means time off. If anything, it means more work than any weekday.

I'm in Douce France (a coffee shop in Palo Alto) right now, listening to Alison Krauss, Digable Planets, Jurassic 5, the Amandla! soundtrack, and anything else that comes up in my itunes party shuffle. Some students asked me what kind of music I listen to. For you that asked, there's a sample of what I'm listening to now.

Anyhow, my 9 minute break is over. Back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page