Monday, September 25, 2006

First Day of the Year

Today was my first day as a tenured faculty member at De Anza.

The day was uneventful, for the most part. I have a headache now, which is of no real surprise to me, as I've had headaches everyday for the past few days. I just need to get my sleeping and eating habits straightened out. School should do that for me.

I began the day by forgetting to bring the classroom key with me, and had to go back to my office to get it. This caused class to start about 10 minutes late.

It's almost weird to be teaching an MPS class, and not see the usual faces. No Lois and Amy in the front row; Jeff, Junior and Stephanie in the back. It felt a little odd, but I'm sure I will get to know, and like, the students I have this year.

I teach in the afternoons on Monday and Wednesday this quarter. I think I was spoiled by teaching Tuesday/Thursday afternoons last year. I eased into the week, by not having afternoon responsibilities on Monday. This quarter, Monday is....bam! Over 4 hours of teaching.

Lauren got back from Cape Town yesterday. There was a woman from South Africa who had been on the same flights she was on. We gave her a ride to the hotel where she would be staying. It was kind of cool, because I has been listening to This American Life, on Saturday, and the title of the show was The Kindness of Strangers. The woman was very thankful, but I didn't see it as being a big deal. She needed to get to Cupertino, we were going in that direction, makes sense to give her a ride, don't you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page