Sunday, July 22, 2007

My Saturday


I was playing around with my camera yesterday, when this picture happened. Two things struck me about the picture. First, the whiteness. I thought that was odd, because I took a picture in the exact location no more than a minute later, and the whiteness was gone. I guess the sun moved just enough in that time.

The other thing that struck me is, man, my hair is getting long! In my head, I think my hair is as long as it is in my profile picture (what was taken over a year ago), but it's quite a bit longer. It's actually longer than in the picture, because in this picture, it's held up.

Anyway. What happened yesterday? I studied international finance for about 5 hours, and I'm still confused about something the teacher said in our last class meeting, so I have to meet up with him, or something. I also saw the much over-hyped David Beckham's first game in the MLS. As a soccer player, I'm worried that the way ESPN pushed that game down people's throats will lead to people liking soccer even less. The game was pretty dull (in my opinion), and the LA Galaxy looked like a middle school team against Chelsea. I think part of the problem with the MLS is that soccer should be an intimate game. You have your team, you follow them closely, you even go to their away games. With the MLS, you can't really go to their away games, because those games are so far away.

I think soccer in the U.S. is like college hockey; only certain people can get into it. I loved college hockey when I was in college, because I went to hockey school (that won the NCAA championship a few months ago). You follow the team, your rivals are not too far away, so you always have opponents fans in the stands. That's what soccer is supposed to be like, the U.S. is simply too big to give soccer that kind of feel, so it becomes this huge deal for one bad team (the LA Galaxy), and no one cares about the other teams in the league. I've said too much on this topic....

Keeping with the football mood, I saw Green Street Hooligans, with was better than I thought it would be. I was surprised to learn it was directed by a woman. It didn't really seem like a movie a woman would direct. Yay for breaking gender stereotypes!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you. I have a problem with the Galaxy and yesterday's Hollywood turnout turned me off. With so many people expecting Beckham to score goals, it just shows you how much further soccer still has to go in this country. It doesn't seem like anyone understands the fluid passing, teamwork and domination on the field. It's not only about goals, it is about the teamwork and how the game is done. Chelsea had it all the way and you have to wonder how Beckham felt to see some of his England lads again.

July 22, 2007 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photo is particularly cool because of the contrast with your blogger profile picture!

-Lauren

July 24, 2007 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page