Monday, March 13, 2006

Statistics

I'm in the Mountain View Library, Counting Crows are singing The Murder of One in my ears.

I should be planning stats, but I've been putting that off all quarter. Instead I wrote an exam. I'm being productive, but should really break into stats mode. I've looked at the book, and some of the stuff Diane gave me. It's going to be so different. I knew that material would be different - I knew that from teaching stats in MS^2 (I wonder if I can do superscripts in blogger) - but the format of the whole class seems different. That's what makes me a little nervous. It's always a little scary to teach from a new book, or a slightly different class (with MPS, each quarter has given me those fears, using books I'd never used before, teaching a 2 hour, 5 day a week class), but for some reason stats just has this hold on me.

I think it goes back to the stats classes I took in college.

My junior year I took stats with that jerk of a guy, whose name I don't remember. No one did well in that class, and he made a girl cry one day. I didn't go home for Thanksgiving that year (even though I already had a plane ticket) thanks to that guy. You'd think I would remember his name, but I don't.

My senior year, I took a business stats class. This was the most useful of the stats classes I took (and the most similar to what most people who take stats see in class), and I remember loving it. I got one of the highest grades in the class (there were over 200 people in the class), and tutored some classmates. It must have been easy for me, but I don't remember much about it. I must have been suffering from senioritus, because I don't remember much about that semester, or even what semester that was in my senior year.

In grad school, I took two stats classes. Both of them were way over my head. The first one turned out to be a financial stats class (it didn't say that in the course catalog). CRA-ZY!!! How I got through that one, I'll never know. It was basically for stats and finance grad students (I was neither). The other one I took was also for stats grad students. I know how I got through that one - my officemate was a stats guy.

Anyhow, here I go, avoiding planning stats again. I'll go now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page