Sunday, March 26, 2006

Weekend Before Finals

The weekend before finals week is one of the more stressful weekends for students. I’ve been there.

As a teacher though, I try and avoid doing anything related to work, the weekend before finals. I realize that once I start grading finals, I will probably be kept busy until the end of the summer session, which is sometime in early August. I have to grade finals and prep for next quarter over spring break. Then the quarter starts, and ends, and then summer starts the following week.

So far, this has been a fun weekend for me.

It started on Friday, which was not a ton of fun, by having a growth removed from the left side of my face. Fun, right? Lauren and I tried to see Tsotsi that afternoon, but got there late, so we went grocery shopping and came home. I watched basketball that night, and graded a bunch of homework papers (I did actually do some work this weekend). We walked around downtown Mountain View, and that was the evening.

Saturday was a long day…..

The Pre-Game

We had tickets to the UCLA-Memphis game, in Oakland. We wanted to do a couple of other things in Oakland, so we headed out at 1:30, only to realize 5 minutes later, that we forgot the tickets at home. We went back home and got them.

We drove up to Oakland, and looked around Preservation Park, which could be a possible wedding location. It was alright. I can’t say I really loved it, but I didn’t dislike it either.

We then went to Fruitvale (the Mexican part of Oakland), parked the car, and got some great Mexican food (I have to say that Mexican food in the South Bay doesn’t compare to the food in Fruitvale). We got on BART and headed to the Oakland Arena.

The Game

The game started at 4:05, and was extremely dull. UCLA won by being the better of two horrible shooting teams out there. There is a quote from Rasheed Wallace, when he played with the Portland Trailblazers. He didn’t want to talk to the media, so he answered every question with “both teams played hard.” Last evening, both teams played crappy. It was awful to watch. After the game we went to...

The Block Party

Dave Chappelle’s Block Party, that is. We saw it at the Parkway Theater. Anyone in the Bay Area who hasn’t been to the Parkway should go. Even if you don’t live in the Bay Area, but ever happen to find yourself in the area, you should go to the Parkway. They have couches, pizza, and beer. We got pear ciders, and were too late to get a couch, so we had to settle for chairs, which was not as nice, but the movie was good, and audience really got into it.

The After Party

My old officemate Rozy (who needs to get a webpage, BTW) invited people to go to some club in the City. We changed at a coffee shop, after the movie, then drove across the Bay Bridge, and found parking. All this took an hour. Crazy!

We got to the club at 11:30. When we got there, the bouncer at the door had just told a couple of people the club was full, but then he let us in. I guess we’re cool looking.

I don’t like these tiny clubs with no space that think they are cool and chic. I thought it was kind of a crappy club, personally. While we were at the club, some photographer came and took our picture. So now, my picture might end up on some club’s website, that I didn’t even like. I told Lauren he probably took our picture to get some color on the website. I had looked at the website earlier, and almost all the photos were of white folk.

Here's the picture...


We left the club at 1:00, came home, and I had toast (I love toast made with Trader Joe’s Shepherd’s Bread – plug, plug.), because I hadn’t eaten anything since 3 that afternoon. We went to bed, and that was the day.

Today, we cleaned the house, and I’m currently watching basketball on TV.

Good luck with finals!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page